Become a Caregiver
If you have a loved one who qualifies for Medical Cannabis, you may be able to be their designated caregiver. Often patients in need are unable to travel to a dispensary to pick up their medication or are in need of assistance when taking their medication. A registered caregiver for a patient can purchase cannabis products in a registered dispensary on behalf of the patient.
If you are interested in becoming a caregiver, follow these steps. *
Caregivers may be added during the patient registration process or after the patient registration has been submitted. If the patient registration is still in process, return to the registration form and complete the “Add Caregivers” section from within the registration form.
a. Login to the https://my.ny.gov account used to register as patient here
b. Click the “Health Applications” icon, and then click the “Medical Cannabis Data Management System” link to access the account.
i. Patients who self-registered may select the “View My Caregivers”
1. Select the green “Add Caregiver” button.
2. Enter the caregiver’s information requested
3. Select the green “Add” button.
4. The caregiver must complete their own caregiver registration. Registration instructions may be found here:
ii. Patients who were registered using a proxy applicant, would select “Register/View My Registrations”
1. Select the blue patient registration number.
2. Scroll down to “Add Caregivers” section
3. Select the green “Add Caregiver” button.
4. Enter the caregiver’s information requested
5. Select the green “Add” button.
6. The caregiver must complete their own caregiver registration. Registration instructions may be found here:
*This information is taken from the NY State Department of Health Website found here. Please visit this site for the most up-to-date information available on the Medical Cannabis program in New York.